If you're not batching together simple, quick, and/or boring tasks then you're likely fracturing your attention and ruining the level of attention and care you can bring to your work that actually matters -- and that sucks.
Batching is simply saving a bunch of small things to do all at once instead of doing them as they show up. Here are a few of the things I regularly batch:
- Responding to emails (usually once daily).
- Checking email (a handful of times daily).
- Processing my snail mail (weekly).
- Paying bills (once every couple weeks).
- Processing notes out of my notebook and into Things or Evernote (once every couple days).
What could you start batching today?
Photo by Satoshi KAYA